How to Diagnose Tinnitus
Have you ever heard a ringing in your ear that could not be attributed to any outside sources? What about a hissing, roaring, sizzling or clicking? If so, it sounds like you may be one of the 50 million Americans currently suffering from tinnitus.
Once you have accepted the fact that you are suffering from tinnitus and your fridge has not suddenly gotten louder, contact your Thousand Oaks audiologist. When you arrive at their office, you will complete a tinnitus evaluation. Since tinnitus is a symptom of a wide range of health conditions, it can occasionally point to a more serious problem. This is why it is so important to try to identify a cause, even though it is not always possible.
Your Thousand Oak audiologist has several goals they hope to accomplish when they evaluate any tinnitus patient:
- Identify the underlying cause of the tinnitus symptoms.
- Determine if the tinnitus is subjective or objective.
- Evaluate how the tinnitus is affecting the patient’s speech reception.
- Assess whether the patient is experiencing hyperacusis (sound sensitivity).
- Pinpoint the frequency and loudness of the sound the patient is hearing.
During a tinnitus evaluation, your Thousand Oak audiologist will administer:
- An in-depth written and verbal interview.
- A complete physical examination of your auditory system.
- A pure tone and ultra-high frequency audiometry test.
- Speech reception and word recognition tests.
- An otoacoustic emissions test.
- Additional tests, studies and evaluations.
While knowing the cause of your tinnitus is helpful for your Thousand Oak audiologist to put together a tinnitus management plan, it is not necessary. Sometimes the cause of tinnitus simply cannot be identified. If that is the case, your Thousand Oak audiologist will create a management plan based on making your symptoms less noticeable instead of treating the underlying cause.
Now is the time to take back your life. If you think you may be suffering from tinnitus, contact your Thousand Oak audiologist to schedule a visit today.